Figure 1: current developmental stage for Celsus’s drugs
Celsus Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing new therapies for inflammatory diseases via a platform of novel non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
The term “inflammatory diseases” applies to a super-family of diseases and conditions comprising hundreds of distinct diseases. These include autoimmune diseases, allergies, reactions to infections and tissue breakdown, hereditary diseases as well as diseases of unknown etiology. Increasingly, many cancerous processes such as angiogenesis are also being linked to inflammation. Names of inflammatory diseases typically have the suffix “-itis” (e.g. bronchitis, appendicitis, dermatitis) but many other do not (e.g. asthma, psoriasis, lupus, etc.). According to a published report by GBI Research, the global drug market for inflammatory diseases was approximately $57 billion in 2009.
Core areas of interest and clinical programs:
Celsus is currently focusing on several major clinical areas: dermatology, respiratory, ophthalmology, and osteoarthritis. Our secondary areas include gastro-intestinal, cardiovascular, and central nervous systems inflammatory diseases.
- Two first-in-man topical academic Phase II studies for contact dermatitis were successfully completed in Israel and a larger fully ICH-compliant Phase II study in pediatric atopic dermatitis (eczema) is currently ongoing.
- A fully ICH-compliant Phase IIa nasal spray study on allergic rhinitis patients has been recently completed with demonstrated clear improvement in biochemical and clinical markers and excellent safety results.
- Published data in standard industry animal model in asthma (rat ovalbumin allergic bronchitis model) showing amelioration in symptoms, histology and inflammatory mediators.
- Pre-clinical program in cystic fibrosis generated positive data in CF cell lines.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- A pre-clinical program in IBD has demonstrated efficacy of MFAID orally administered in the standard industry animal model.
- Ophthalmology (dry eye and SAC). Positive data on guinea pig allergic conjunctivitis model (with steroid comparator) as well as safe ocular toxicology profile.